Wednesday 31 October 2012

Happy Halloween


Daughter's carved pumpkin

It's that time of year again when ghosts and ghouls tread the streets once night falls and there are constant knocks on the door for a trick or treat. I really don't like Halloween. I'm an old grump at having to answer the door all the time and would rather draw the curtains and ignore it all. They always come a knocking when we are trying to eat our evening meal too. I do know the kids love it though and I enjoy taking the dog for his walk and watching all the kids dressed up in their costumes having fun running around the streets. It's just the knocking on my door! Daughter No3 was supposed to go to a Halloween party tonight but has decided she doesn't want to go now so she wants to answer the door all evening. Fine by me, job's your. So all you halloweeners out there, have fun tonight and you can call at my door this year cos I don't have to answer it all night : )

Both daughter's carved a pumpkin last night (pictured above) and scooped out the inside for me to make a pumpkin pie. I didn't fancy making a pie this year so I made some pumpkin muffins instead. Here's my recipe

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

400g pumpkin
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
pinch salt
125g sugar
1egg, beaten
5 tbsp milk
4 tbsp oil

Cook the pumpkin until tender then blend until smooth then place in a sieve to allow excess water to drain off and allow to cool.
Mix all dry ingredients together
Mix all wet ingredients together with the pumpkin in another bowl
Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients
Fill 12 muffin cases and bake on a tray for 20-25 minutes at Gas 5/ 190C





They would be nice with some frosting on top but I'm going to leave them plain because I'm watching the calories. I had no muffin cases so had to use bun cases so ended up with 18 muffins. Also, I only added 1/2 tsp mixed spice but I think the flavour would have been better with 1 tsp.

Enjoy your Halloween night x

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely idea! I`m not keen on pumpkin pie, either. Those muffins look delicious! I wonder if I could substitude 1/2 the flour required for some of my home made oatmeal. That would be much better for my arthritis friendly diet. Otherwise, I shall scribble down the recipe. I have 2 small pumpkins sitting stored in my shed. I could use some of it for those muffins. Looks like a Sunday afternoon treat in the making. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pumpkin, we didn't bother carving one this year, I know, I'm a misery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarina, just try it I'm sure they will turn out fine. If not smother them with custard and you will never know.

    Jo, we would not have bothered this year if Eva had gone to her party but last minute she decided she wanted a pumpkin because she was not going out.

    ReplyDelete