Tuesday 30 April 2013

Bit of grub stuff

Well we're having a lovely sunny day here in Yorkshire. Been out with Sherlock for our second walk of the day and I was actually too hot in my jacket but just as I was returning back home we had a short shower so was glad I took my jacket in the end.

Had a morning of quick bakes and soup making. I made a batch of fruit scones and a batch of cheese scones for the girls to nibble on and to take to school in pack up.

I used the Be-Ro cookbook recipe. I don't know why, but I can never make lovely deep scones no matter what recipe I use. Anyway, they taste lovely as I tried a small  one made with the remains of the mixture. Tried to resist because I'm on a diet and it's weigh-in tomorrow but I could hear it calling me from the kitchen. I was good  though and had it plain. I resisted the cheese scones though far too many calories with the cheese. Scones are so cheap and quick to make.






I made a large pan of soup for my lunches. No recipe really. It's one I make often and mainly consists of chopping carrots, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, usually a green pepper that's floating around the fridge but didn't have one this week. A tin of tomatoes, veg stock and a good dollop of tomato puree then I add 2-3 tbsp of paprika. Boil until cooked then blend until smooth.

I've set myself a challenge to use up bits and pieces in packets floating around my cupboards that never seem to get used. Today I finished a packet of oatbran that I have been having each morning for my breakfast over the last 4 days. I can't even remember what I bought it for but the use by date was July 2012. It tasted lovely made with water and drizzled with a little syrup.

The next packets to use up are a packet of pumpkin seeds and a packet of sunflower seeds. Think I shall lightly toast them in a frying pan then store them in a little pot and have a tablespoon on my salads for a bit of crunch. Shouldn't take me long to use them up because I'm eating a lot of salads lately.

Might tackle a tin of anchovies I've got lurking at the back of the cupboard that have been sat there for the last two years. I know they are not a packet but I'm sick of seeing them every time I open the cupboard door. Haven't a clue what to do with then. I don't even like anchovies. Mother-in-law gave them to me one year in a food hamper. Come to think of it, I think she bought them along with other stuff to do one of the Jamie Oliver recipes in a cookbook she included in the hamper. Shall go and have a rummage through my book collection and dig it out. Watch this space...for a Jamie anchovies recipe

3 comments:

  1. sounds to me that you are right on track!I will look forward to the Jamie Olivier recipe! he keeps telling us you can't taste the anchovies,
    I think your scones are lovely, they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sling the anchovies in a casserole - you wont taste them, but you will taste the difference!
    Scones look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scones, but I'm trying to lose some weight so they're off my menu too.

    ReplyDelete